Our charter petition was approved by the Alameda County Office of Education on October 11, 2011. The school opened in the fall of 2012 in Oakland.
Urban Montessori Charter Petition
Click the link below to download the current version of the charter petition.
UMCS Charter to OUSD (original) (approved by ACOE on appeal)
UMCS Renewal Charter to ACOE (2nd five-year term, including Material Revision July 2017 and again in July 2018 pursuant to address changes)
- UMCS Charter Material Revision June 2020 due to address change (approved by UMCS Board on June 25, 2020, and currently pending ACOE Board approval)
California Charter Law
The Charter Schools Act of 1992 states that:
It is the intent of the Legislature…to provide opportunities for teachers, parents, pupils, and community members to establish and maintain schools that operate independently from the existing school district structure, as a method to accomplish all of the following:
- Improve pupil learning.
- Increase learning opportunities for all pupils, with special emphasis on expanded learning experiences for pupils who are identified as academically low achieving.
- Encourage the use of different and innovative teaching methods.
- Create new professional opportunities for teachers, including the opportunity to be responsible for the learning program at the school site.
- Provide parents and pupils with expanded choices in the types of educational opportunities that are available within the public school system.
- Hold the schools established under this part accountable for meeting measurable pupil outcomes, and provide the schools with a method to change from rule-based to performance-based accountability systems.
- Provide vigorous competition within the public school system to stimulate continual improvements in all public schools.
- From the California Education Code Section 47601