Urban Montessori Charter School seeks experienced leaders to serve on its Board of Directors. The best way to learn more, to demonstrate interest, and to get started being considered for Board Membership is to start attending meetings and constructively participate as a member of the public. Currently, our members are all people who identify as White or of Asian descent. Our success requires equitable voices and representation, including the voices of people who are Black, Latinx, Indigenous, and others. We need your leadership and capacity.
The Board is responsible for establishing broad policies and overseeing high-level decisions that affect the School, including:
- Adopting policies to ensure that the school is run effectively, legally, and ethically;
- Hiring, overseeing, evaluating, and supporting the Head of School;
- Monitoring the operational budget and finances for long-term viability;
- Setting policies and approving documents as required by state or federal law; and
- Seeing that adequate funds are secured for the operating and capital needs of the school.
- Prepare for and attend 10-12 regular evening board meetings each year, as well as one full-day Board retreat, scheduled committee meetings, and important school events;
- Be available by phone or email as needed; respond to calls and emails in a timely manner; and
- Participate on at least one Board committee.
- Leadership experience with a proven track record of results, ideally in an entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability and inclination to work collaboratively with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
- Commitment to and interest in Montessori education in a public school
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
We are especially seeking individuals with any of the following areas of expertise:
- Real estate acquisition and development, including project financing
- Public Relations: marketing, working with the media
In addition, we also need people with experience in:
- Fundraising for not-for-profit organizations
- Accounting and finance
- Designing, delivering and evaluating an academically rigorous education program, including curriculum, pedagogy, and assessments
- Attracting, developing, and retaining educators
For more information: contact Davis Leung, Board Chair: email@example.com